Friday, April 4, 2014

Geeky Friday

I've been using my Creatavita time this week to rehearse for tonight's New Friends and Old Songs, but I'm happy to say after a great rehearsal last night with my colleagues Michael Moeller and Eric Thompson, I am ready to go.  Lucky for all of you, because that gave me time to geek out this morning.

Look at this report. If you're a geek like me, you'll find it interestingt.

NEA Employment Figures for Artists

Data that didn't surprise me:
- The unemployment rate for artists is higher than the general population rate (7.1% for artists vs. 6.6% for the general population).  However, this is an improvement over 2009 and 2010, when our unemployment rate was 9%.
- "artists are better educated than the overall labor force".

Data that jumped out at me:
-being a musician is the most popular secondary artist position (84,000 people), followed by designers (36,200).  Actors are further down the list at 12,000, while dancers and choreographers are at 4,800.
-21% of us call teaching our first profession and being an artist our second profession.

Click over and see if you can find yourself in the data.

Oh, and here's the direct link to New Friends and Old Songs tickets.  Surprise me!  Show up!