Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Why Me?

I sang a Christmas concert last Sunday.

I've been singing this concert for, um.....20 years.  Maybe more.  I'm not sure.

I have mixed emotions about this concert.  On the one hand, I love the opportunity.  On the other hand, because this concert always features a mix of classical and popular music, I have to really focus my preparation.  Then there's the fact that it is always on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and to be honest, I am never mentally ready for Christmas music that soon after Thanksgiving.  I know - First World problems. Obviously, I get over it.


The concert went very well this year.  I figured out one way to raise my excitement level - retail therapy!  Yup, a Black Friday deal gave me a new outfit to wear. So I looked good and I sang even better.  Fine.

But.

At the post-concert reception (which features the best cookies on the planet.  And they're FREE.), a woman approached me.  She looked me in the eye and said, "I really didn't want to come today.  I was having a bad day and I definitely wasn't in the mood for Christmas music.  But I have to tell you, your singing lifted my spirits."

I noticed the tiniest of tears gathering in her eyes.  She continued,  "I feel so much better now.  I think I'm going to make it.  Thank you."

Thank you, Universe, for the reminder.  Why me?  Because my music, my art, my creativity might just change a life.

As you wander through this holiday season - especially those of you that are singing Messiah for the 6,392nd time or performing 80+ performances of Christmas Carol, or singing Angels We Have Heard On High for the 45,368th time - remind yourself that you also might be changing a life with your music, your story-telling, your art, your creativity.

Or even just a look in someone's eyes.





No comments:

Post a Comment