Tuesday, August 14, 2018

My Favorite Things: Hummingbirds

Ah, the dog days of summer.

This is my time of the year. The sun lingers in the evening sky, Rita's is still open, my shoes are not on my feet, the tomatoes are coming in and the hummingbirds are in full buzz.




Did you know:

- Hummingbirds fly over the Gulf of Mexico without taking a break? That's 500 miles and over 20 hours of flying!

- Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backwards?

- The male hummingbird is not involved in raising young, and will often find another mate after the young are hatched. Hmmm...

I'll stop now with the fun facts. There are more right here.

About six years ago, I started to notice hummers in my backyard. It is very possible that they were there before and I was oblivious. This has happened before. The oblivious part.

Anyway, Beloved got us a feeder and we opened our first hummingbird restaurant. They didn't like that feeder, but they love the one my Michigan Sister  sent. So we open our restaurant annually now, mid-May to mid-September. They even buzz at the kitchen window when they're back in town.



As I've said before, a feeder, some water, some sugar, a little patience and you have yourself hours of entertainment.

I find them fascinating, the way they hum around, their wings moving unbelievably quickly. One night a few weeks ago, I saw one dance with the water from our whirligig sprinkler. As good as Broadway.

What's it like, I wonder, to be a hummingbird? What's it like to live on sugar water? Does that sugar water taste as good to a hummer as it does to me? What's it like to fly nonstop in the tiniest of bodies over the Gulf of Mexico?

Hummingbirds. This week's Favorite Thing.

Have a favorite thing that makes life easier? Tell me about it here. If I use it in a future post, I'll send you a present.

The Susquehanna. From the annual walk in the woods with my BFF.

No comments:

Post a Comment