Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Well

I didn't expect to be gone this long. From Creatavita, that is.

Back at the beginning of September, I gave myself permission to take an entire month off. Beloved and I were going on a big adventure (which you will hear about) and I didn't want any responsibilities in the way. I wanted to be, as we say, fully present to the adventure. My plan was to return on October 1, rested, rejuvenated and full of creativity.

Yeah, well.

That didn't happen, did it? I've been gone for almost two months. You should have experienced the carnival in my head when I realized I had really lost my blogging habit.

Voice #1 - Screaming Dominatrix Voice: "What is wrong with you? You HAVE TO GET BACK IN THE HABIT. People are waiting to hear from you!"

Voice #2 - Snotty Adolescent Voice: "Well, if they're waiting for me, why haven't they reached out to me and told me they miss me? After all, it's 2018. They have any number of ways to find me. I don't think they really care."

Voice #3 - Calm, Peaced-Out Traveler Voice: "Hey, it's okay. Taking a break is a good idea. You'll get to it when you're ready."

Voice #4 - Organized, Wannabe CEO: "You are not sticking to the Editorial Calendar. You have messed up the entire year. What are we going to do?"

Voice #5 - Indignant Social Butterfly: "You can't just say you were too busy. That's sooo lame."

Anybody else have that many voices in their heads?

Only one thing was nurtured during this time - my addiction to perfectionism. When I let that first deadline pass, I the door to perfectionism opened. Next thing I knew, nothing was good enough. Then the carnival of voices walked right through that door...and yuck. I was back in the throes of not being perfect, which leads to not feeling good enough, which leads to inaction. It's an ugly path.

So, I'm done with that. At least this time. I think. We'll see.

I have been spending lots of brain cells reflecting on my relationship with social media. I really, really, REALLY want to spend less time on Facebook and Instagram. The time I spend out there is no longer time well spent. Also, it makes me crazy that Facebook has so much dominion over our lives. So, get ready for that. And thanks for waiting!

To keep you intrigued, here's one photo from the country that measures Gross National Happiness, Bhutan:

Buddhist Monk on a Himalayan mountain trail




No comments:

Post a Comment